Chishaku-in was founded in the 14th century as a sub-temple of Daidenpo-in that was established in Koyasan, Wakayama Prefecture by Priest Kakuban (1095-1144), in the year 1130. The mother temple then moved to Negorosan in Wakayama Prefecture ten years later.
In the year 1585, Daidenpo-in, including its sub-temples was totally destroyed by the actual ruler of the country Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1537-1593). Chief Priest of Chishaku-in, Genyu (Gen-yu, 1529-1605), who fled from the assault, had to wait until the Toyotomi family was destroyed and the Tokugawa family came to power. In the year 1601, the first Tokugawa Shogun, Ieyasu (1543-1616) gave a place to Genyu to revive Chishaku-in. In the year 1615, Ieyasu gave them neighboring Shounzen-ji Temple that had been founded by Hideyoshi in memory of his son Sutemaru who died in 1591 at the age of three.
The Shoheki-ga (or Fusuma-e) paintings are national treasures. Chishaku-in suffered several fires in its history and half the paintings were lost.
Bridge and Pond
The middle of the garden that is modeled on Mt. Lushan (in Japanese, Rozan) of China.
Temple Hondo (Main hall of worship)