The Heian-jingu Shrine is a Shinto Shrine. The main building, or shaden, is designed to imitate the Kyoto Imperial Palace on a three-fourth scale.
The Heian-jingu was built in 1895 for the 1,100th anniversary of the establishment of Heiankyo (the old name of Kyoto). The shrine is dedicated to the Emperor Kanmu and Emperor Komei. The former moved the capital of Heiankyo, and the latter was the last before Emperor Meiji, who moved the capital to Tokyo.
Heian-jingu's Torii (entrance gate), the largest Torii in Japan. It also marks the end of the Tokaido, the traditional road between Tokyo and Kyoto.
Ceremonial sake drums held on display
Symbol of the Japanese Imperial Family
Garden in Heian-jingu
One of the first street cars in the city
Shinto priests oversee a tree planting ceremony
Official Site in English
Map of the 53 stations of the Tokaido